Sunday, July 17, 2011

Real Men...Share Their Emotions

Hello All,

I have been gone for too long. I won't give you excuses. I have been lazy and have not cared to stick with my word and that will change especially after this weekend. I just came home from the McNair Scholars Conference and have a lot to say about a lot of thing. But first...

Last night was the final night of the McNair Conference and our speaker Dr. Calvin Mackie was our final speaker and really ended the conference on such a high note. This inspires two posts this being the first. Real men are not afraid to hug each other, because a hug is a sign of affection and real men can show affection to others...it does not make one gay and being gay is not a bad thing. A real man would realize this. That being said, I cried last night. I'm not afraid to admit that. I went up to the mic during the Q&A and explained how I was touched and Dr. Mackie called me forward for a hug. It didn't feel weird at all. After I sat down more people went up and I was pleased to see another Latino go up and get emotional on the mic. Real men can and should show emotions. It makes you strong to own who you are and to be yourself. Thanks Dr. Mackie!

1 comment:

Eccentric_Girl said...

I agree with what you're saying.

It's such a shame society creates false/negative depictions of how men "should be".

Glad to hear you had a good time at the conference :)