Sunday, July 17, 2011

Movies w/ Substance

I love movies. What I love even more are movies with substance! I'm not talking about dramas though I do love a good drama like Milk...or a good documentary like Born Rich but that's not what I want to talk about here.



I want to talk about films like X-Men. It's a film about mutants but it's more than that. It speaks to the gay experience, the overall oppressed experience with cures, mass incarceration, war, etc. It gives us hope that we can overcome...it creates a false dichotomy between 'good' and 'evil' like some have done with Malcolm X and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Still I like them for more than the action and the adventure.
I have friends that say I over-analyze films, songs, etc but I disagree. I think that media carries messages and if we don't look at them, analyze them critically and mindlessly consume we will buy into thoughts and ideas we don't like or support! And really dumb ourselves and our society down. Once we, as a society can look at our media and culture critically we can create new media and create inclusive environments so all feel welcome. So let's continue to analyze Harry Potter, X-Men, Transformers, Winnie the Pooh and whatever else is on your list of seen or to be seen.

No comments: